Thursday 1 November 2012

Coral Turner Couture - Handmade fashion


We chat to Coral  about her business, Coral Turner Couture. Coral is one of the talented designers featured in We Make London's new book, Inspired:London.



What is name and background behind your company?
Name: Coral Turner
Business Name: Coral Turner Couture

Background: Predominately a self-taught fashion designer, a love for fine fabrics, the art of couture sewing to produce great fitting clothes, and statement pieces that creates their own identity/personality for the wearer, not easily defined or categorized is the ethos behind my company.

Where are you based?
South East London

How long have you been in business for?
I have been making private bespoke pieces for over 20 years for both men and women.  Tailored shirts for men and varying garments for ladies from silk dresses to tailored suits, I set up an on-line ready-to-wear couture boutique 2011.

What do you love most about living in London?
The variety of creative outlets, the opportunity of experience whether it be in a working environment or the people you meet, forever growing and evolving. 



Who or what inspires you?
My parents/family/partner are my inspiration, they have always encouraged me to go for what I believe in, never give up, be kind to others along the way, and take the path less trodden.

What advice would you give designers starting out?
Think for yourself, but don’t be so wrapped up in being right that you forget to listen and take advice.  If it’s encouraging embrace it, discouraging take it with a pinch of salt.  Above all believe in yourself, where your abilities are lacking take the time to learn more, always keep listening and learning.



What is new for your company?
The couture on-line boutique www.coralturner.co.uk under my label ‘Exclusive Originals’, which sells only one-of-a-kind, ready to wear women’s wear.  I have started out using jersey fabrics for the initial collection, but will later move onto woven fabrics such as silk and linens. One-of-a-kind is very important to me as I believe in dressing the individual.



No comments:

Post a Comment