Saturday 3 November 2012

Ela Studio - Hand-printed accessories and homewares

Ela Studio is featured in Inspired:London, We Make London's new book. Today we find out about Ela Studio and plans for the future.




What is name and background behind your company?

Ela Studio is the space that I found to develop my creative practice. The name Ela is the last part of my name Gabriela.
Recently I launched my first collection of accessories and homewares designed by me and made in London.

Where are you based?
I am based in South East London, near Bermondsey Street area. Some days I work from home when I have to do admin stuff or when I am doing digital design. When I need space to do more hands on work I go to my husbands’ studio very close by.

How long have you been in business for?

One year ago I designed my first collection of scarves, cushions and wallpaper, which I started selling in design fairs, markets and online sites as well. Although I was a bit off the business as I was also doing a foundation in textile design which kept me really busy.

What do you love most about living in London?

The great inspiration I get everyday. I find an amazing creative flow all over the city. I get inspired by the people, the streets, events. I love the feeling of freedom that the city offers. In a single day you can travel thru many cultures and climates.
Living in London has given me the inspiration to start into textile designing. Before moving here I was in a totally different environment and never imagined that I was gonna be doing what I am doing right now. It is been an amazing creative journey and this city has awaken that side in me.



Who or what inspires you?

Architecture and design are both strong influences in my work. Fashion is also very inspiring and in a city like London you can find it anywhere.

I like the geometric forms that emerged in the 60´s. I admire brands such as Marimekko, the finish textile fabrics with bold and colorful patterns.

I love patterns and I like to experiment with varied media to create artwork that I can translate digitally. I think is important that the original work is hand made as it brings a different value to the digital prints. My first collection emerged from hand stamping which I worked digitally and then printed unto fabrics and wallpaper.



What advice would you give designers starting out?

To take time to develop their products into something that has a meaning for them as well as good quality. Invest in samples, try out different materials and suppliers, and have feedback from someone before launching, in order to offer something truly unique and very well made.

What is new for your company?

At the moment I am working on a new collection of scarves which I am willing to launch by the end of the year, at Christmas markets. I am in the process of developing new textile products such as bags and blouses for next year.
Also I would like to launch my own website and look more into wholesale retaliers.


No comments:

Post a Comment