Saturday 10 November 2012

Enclosed Spaces - Silk Screen Prints

Today,we chat to Inspired:London featured designer, Enclosed Spaces.



What is name and background behind your company?
Initially it wasn't actually meant to be my company name. It was a domain name and email address I’d had for years, but had a creative slant (it referred to the warnings on spray-paints about not using in an enclosed space). I always liked the name though and realized it could easily also refer to your own living space. Be it a flat, or house, or studio, we’re usually in an enclosed space and for a lot of people, particularly in the city, it’s a little cramped! I designed my logo to reflect the sardine-like situation of living in a city, and my company’s aim became to help people cheer up their own “enclosed space’ with art.



Where are you based?
I’m currently based in the same area I spent the early years of my life – West London.

How long have you been in business for?
I launched my website in 2010, with a year or so of experimenting with printing before then, but it’s only been since 2011 that I've started to turn it into what I’d call a proper business.



What do you love most about living in London?
I think it’s easier to ask Londoners what they don’t like about the city (we like to moan). To sound a little clichéd, it really is a vibrant place though. No more so than during 2012 with the Olympics and Jubilee celebrations. What I love most is how multi-cultural it is. It feels like you can get pretty much anything from anywhere.

Who or what inspires you?
My dad. He’s the most entrepreneurial person I know. We’re alike in that we both have lots of interests, and I think it’s focusing on just the one which is our dilemma (case in point – aside from screen printing, I’m hoping to branch into jewellery shortly too).



What advice would you give designers starting out?
Expect to make mistakes. And when you do, call it a learning experience! Also, research, research, research. With the internet at your fingertips, there’s really no excuse not to make sure you know as much as you can.

What is new for your company?
Aside from the new Inspired:London book, I’m also getting involved in a couple of We Make London’s fairs in Spitalfields in November; focusing on expanding my stockists; and opening a sister company selling jewellery.


No comments:

Post a Comment