Thursday 22 November 2012

ilanaDesign - Handcrafted jewellery

This morning, we chat to the lovely Ilana about the inspiration behind her jewellery. ilanaDesign is featured in We Make London's new book, Inspired:London which is out now!


What is name and background behind your company?
My company name is called ilanaDesign and grew out of my fine arts and graphic design backgrounds. My intention is that all disciplines will intertwine, influence, shape and inspire one another.

Where are you based?
I am based in West Kilburn where I work from my cozy little flat.

How long have you been in business for?
Approximately 2 ½ years.


What do you love most about living in London?
I love that there is a plethora of design and art. So much inspiration everywhere you turn! I also love London’s big parks! Just couldn't go without mentioning that!

Who or what inspires you?
Things that are clever and creative inspire me. Simple and witty. Things that are larger than life and also those that are commonplace and almost go unseen. The people who inspire me are those who just get out and DO, and don’t let their fears get in the way.


What advice would you give designers starting out?
I still see myself as starting out, and I probably will for some time to come. It’s a process. A growth and a learning. I would say, find mentors, get advice, ask questions, see what and how others do what they do, build and nurture your network and have a colleague or two to regularly meet with to churn out ideas, get feedback and discuss challenges with (over a great cup of coffee of course!).

What is new for your company?
I’m working on some new collections and ideas are floating about. I continue to look for opportunities like the Makers at the Mill exhibition I recently took part in where I had to create a piece that was inspired by the historical location it was held in.


1 comment: